Wednesday 4 May 2016

A Special Child: A Boon or a Bane - As you see it!...

Nine years ago I gave birth to my daughter, who is moderately autistic and battled severe life threatening epilepsy for most of her childhood. I struggled with her care, diet and many other life style choices that you are compelled to make suddenly after the diagnosis.

I had a flourishing career, which I gave up. I became a 24X7 stay at home mom caring for both my kids. Sleepless nights spent in and out of hospitals were routine for me. 

Cut to the present I slowly started working again, first I began to teach once a week and then gradually went on to pick up a very good well paying job. I tend to dress well and take care of my health. Even then I am amazed at the stigma I face everytime people come to know about my daughter, they look at me with pity, and wonder silently as to why I am so happy then!!!

They think that I should be perpetually sad, look sorry and dress shabbily because c'mon I have been punished, haven't I?

I want to put the word out to all special parents, that it is of utmost importance that you celebrate your special child rather than considering him/her to be a punishment. My daughter has made me a better human being, more patient, compassionate and above all has given me the drive to succeed and achieve inspite of all obstacles. I mean, one look at her and I feel emboldened, because if she could fight through so much inspite of being such a small precious life, what stops me then!!

She has taught me to dream, smile and laugh from deep within, and bloom under my piece of the sky.

We must consider them as our strengths and feel blessed and surge ahead rather than becoming a victim of the stereotyped image of tired, hassled and penniless parents of special children.

Once you clear these clouds from your mind, you will truly soar and it is in your soaring that your child will find her wings...

No comments:

Post a Comment