Sunday 7 February 2016

Progress

Progress: The Unreasonable Person"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” That is a quotation from George Bernard Shaw’s writings. People are considered reasonable when they are content with the way things are presently. However, when we encounter people who are dissatisfied with the status quo and endeavour to change it, they are frequently considered to be unreasonable.  This concept takes me back to a time when I was a young boy. My grandmother played an important role in my upbringing. She was continually telling me that I should be satisfied with what I had. My grandmother was a real Angel of God in my mind, but as look back to those days, I realize that there were a number of points she attempted to sell me where she was wrong. This was one of those points.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with being dissatisfied. In fact, there is a lot of good to be derived from a mind which is dissatisfied. It was dissatisfactionby hat caused Edison to light up the world; Ford to give us the automobile;  the Wright brothers to introduce us to a new kingdom; and Bell to enable us to speak to someone on the other side of the globe. All of these great advances were brought to us because their inventors were, as many believed, unreasonable.  The beautiful truth is that these inventors were dissatisfied.  If you are disagreeing with a present situation just to disagree, you are very likely unreasonable. However, if you are diligently attempting to improve a situation, absolutely refuse to permit someone else’s remark that you are unreasonable to dissuade you. Be unreasonable in their mind, but move ahead.  In the long haul, they will very likely follow you. Discontent is the first necessity of progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment