Thursday 4 February 2016

Guests are GOD

Guests are GOD: I've tried some of the deepest lessons on life from guys driving taxis. Want some big-time wisdom? Jump in a cab. Put away your cell phone and get to know the human being in front of you. He speaks to hundreds of people each day. Very often, he is wiser than you could imagine. I was reminded of that last night.  I was in Mumbai. I love this place. Love the food. Love the energy. Love the people. The driver’s name was Ramesh Sharma. He saw my name on the taxi reservation sheet and started a long chat (Mumbai traffic is crazy- We had lots of time) and really connected. He asked where I am from etc. etc. He laughed like a child—He told me about his family, his passion for reading, his philosophy. And then he said something I will never forget. "In the North of India, where I am from," he noted with pride, "a guest is God. When someone comes to our home, we treat them with the highest of respect and love. Even if we've to miss eating, we make sure they are well fed. That’s our culture. It brings us joy.” Brilliant! In your life, and in your organization, do you treat your "guests like Gods"? Is that idea a part of your personal and organizational culture? And let me also ask you: What would your personal life look like if everyone who visited you and intersected the journey of your days was treated like a God (whether that person was a family member or a stranger on the street)? What would your professional life look like if you treated your customers with reverence and admiration? You’d be World class. You’d be more successful. You’d be  happier. You’d get to greatness.  ( Excerpts from a Robin Sharma book)

No comments:

Post a Comment