Sunday 3 January 2016

Joy is a state of mind

Joy is a state of mind: How do you define happiness when someone asks you, “Are you happy?” You say either yes or no. Right?  I was roaming in Connaught Place, Delhi, with a friend, talking and lost in my own world until I saw a boy lying on the floor with scanty clothes on his body on a hot summer day. Many flies were wandering here and there on his body but the boy was lying carefree on the floor in deep sleep. To make sure if he was really sleeping, I touched him after seeing a bit of movement in his body. He was smiling, perhaps he was seeing some beautiful dream. I didn’t want to disturb him; so I stood up and went my own way. I was asking myself why do we spend our whole life asking for more  from God? Why aren't we satisfied with whatever God has given us. Even a luxury bedroom with AC and other comforts is not enough and we move about complaining about what we don’t have, not really thanking God for what we have. The next thing I want to share is about food. Some of us have the habit of calling food “shit” if we don’t like it. A friend did that recently just because it was not to his taste; and I found it disgusting. The point is even if the food is not tasty, you can’t call it shit. This is what many in the world are dying for. Have you seen those street kids stealing some leftover food from bins and eating them? I have seen. The message: Learn to respect what you possess, learn to be thankful, learn to smile, learn to appreciate what God has given you because there are many in this world who don’t have even a bit of what you have and still they are happy. Happiness is a state of mind, and it does not come by having ‘more’ of what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment