Thursday 10 December 2015

Patience pays well

Patience pays well: When I was in service, I used to wonder at a senior officer who would always maintain his calm and peace despite many irritating factors in office. Whenever I received a notice for Parliament question, I would panic and rush to him for guidance. One day, he took the Parliament question notice from me and asked me to sit down. He ordered tea and I saw him attending to other matters like telephone calls, etc. in a very cool manner. And then, after tea, he politely told me not to lose my calm as it is the most precious thing. I do not know how long these words were stuck in my mind, but it did help me in reducing the amount of tension that I was facing.  Two years ago, I invited him to attend my son’s marriage. He came and said that he was lucky that he had attended my marriage, and now he was attending my son’s marriage.  I have seen that by losing our calm, we only create  more problems for ourselves. It is, therefore, inevitable to develop poise through strict discipline. It pays to be cool and calm especially in situations demanding immediate solutions. Sometimes, we don’t control our emotions, we tend to go astray. We allow ourselves to fall into deep discouragement and later into depression. Blessed are the emotionally stable persons. They have the strength to resist temptation. They are bound to succeed in life because our inner strength plays a vital role in our success and it is by resisting temptation that we strengthen our willpower: There are times when we lack restraint and get caught up in cultural fads. This is getting carried away by loud music, the bugle call to seek excitement. To an extent, it could be natural as well. But we should strive to control our thoughts and stay calm and patient. As the saying goes, the meek are patient; and the patient will inherit the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment