Thursday 31 March 2016

Care for the Temple

Care for the Temple: A few months ago. I had lunch with a colleague and we discussed the things we did in our lives to stay focused, balanced and at our peak amid the demands of our busy schedules. He made a powerful  point: He said, “many people regularly go to a church or temple to stay grounded and centered. I’m a little different. I go to the gym — that's my temple." He added that no matter how busy he is, at 5:30 P.M. he closes his office and makes the "daily pilgrimage" to his gym to run a few miles on the treadmill. Nothing can stop him from taking this time to ensure his health and happiness. My friends observation made me think of a saying which is "in a sound body rests a sound mind.” It also made me realize that our bodies need to be treated like temples and considered sacred if we hope to live life fully and completely. Regular exercise will not only improve your health. it will help you think more clearly, boost creativity and manage the relentless stress that seems to dominate our days. And research has proven that exercise will not only add life to your years, it could add years to your life. One study of 18,000 Harvard alumni found that every hour spent on exercise added three hours to the participants lives. Few investments will yield a better return than time spent on physical fitness. And remember: ‘Those who don’t make time for exercise must eventually make time for illness.’  In your life, set the goal of swimming five times a week. There is something special about the renewing power of swimming that I cannot begin to describe. Every workout in the swimming pool brings the same results: You will feel energised, serene, balanced and happy. And my exercise sessions also bring me something that I feel is truly priceless: perspective.  The act of caring for my physical temple reminds me that life's greatest pleasures are often life's simplest ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment